The Goodness Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rich Mullins 10/21/55 - 09/19/97

Go down

Rich Mullins 10/21/55 - 09/19/97 Empty Rich Mullins 10/21/55 - 09/19/97

Post  kdm Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:26 pm

If you've never heard of this humble musician & songwriter, here is a good place to begin.

From www.kidbrothers.net

At the time, I was an insecure and inexperienced songwriter who wanted to become an artist. I thought it would be nice to have the opinion of a songwriter who had "made it," so I gave Rich a demo tape and asked for a critique, since I would be traveling to Nashville a few days after the concert to see if doors would open for me.

But Rich refused. He asked me instead, "Do you really believe that God is the one who gave you these songs?" I stammered a positive reply. Shoving the tape back into my hands and looking me intensely in the eye he said, "Then you go with what you've been given. It doesn't matter what I or any other artists think. You just go with God." Even though I felt resentment and the sting of his rejection (in more ways than I can tell you), his words had penetrated into my heart. I knew that God Himself had spoken to me through the lips of this unshaven, barefoot man.

Rich died the way he lived: driving as hard as he could to get to the Light, defiant against the darkness.

I want to close with two thoughts...The first is the real message he gave me …: "Go with what you have been given. Just go with God."

Second, he often said his favorite song he'd written was "Elijah." Consider this excerpt of the chorus: "When I leave, I wanna go out like Elijah.... And it won't break my heart to say goodbye."

-- by Martia Wilson, Winfield, Ala.

kdm

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum